What to do if while my mother was caring for her dying mother, she ransacked the house and removed valuable jewelry?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if while my mother was caring for her dying mother, she ransacked the house and removed valuable jewelry?

My grandmother has since passed but the jewelry should belong to the estate and split between my mother and her 2 siblings. Is this jewelry stolen property? Since it was removed prior to death, doesn’t that make it theft? Can there be serious consequences for this?

Asked on January 9, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It might have been a theft while your grandmother was alive, if your grandmother did not give your mother permission to take it.  It may have been that your grandmother was grateful for your mother's care and gave her the jewelry.  At this point, the executor of the estate would have to have proof that your mother stole the jewelry in order for the estate to make a demand for its return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption