If while itemizing my deceased mother’s estate I realized that some items were missing, so as executor what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If while itemizing my deceased mother’s estate I realized that some items were missing, so as executor what can I do?

Someone, most likely a nephew that had been living in the house, and has taken a piece of furniture, 2 vintage bicycles, a vintage printer and some tools totalling approximately $700-$800. I had intended to sell some of these to help pay administration expenses for an estate that totals probably no more than $82,000.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Taking property from an estate when one is not entitled to is theft. As an executor, you could bring a lawsuit on behalf of the estate against the nephew, seeking the return of the items (or monetary compensation equal to their cash value)--though since you would need an attorney to represent the estate (you can't represent it in court, unless you are a lawyer yourself), it may not be economically worthwhile to do this. You could also report the theft to the police, who may be able to recover the times it does turn out that the nephew stole them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption