What to do if, while I was pregnant, I lost my job and fell behind on my lease vehicle payments?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if, while I was pregnant, I lost my job and fell behind on my lease vehicle payments?

I’m back to work and get my first check Friday and my vehicle got repossessed. What are my options? I tried getting the vehicle back for the current amount owed but they want to tack on 3-additional months. This is more than I can afford. I’m also over on the contract allowed miles. If they auction it, I’m going to be paying for a vehicle I don’t have right? Could I then claim bankruptcy?

Asked on June 12, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your only option is to see if you can negotiate a repayment on the lease terms owed for reinstatement of the lease withthe company that carried out the repossession.  They do not have to negotiate with you, but they may be willing. 


if the vehcile is auctioned off, you would owe only for a deficiecy on the lease.  If that occurs and the company seeks to sue for the elase contract, and, ultimately acquires a judhgement, you may certainly see if you qualify to file  for bankruptcy.  Any bankruptcy would encompass all of your debts.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption