Which party is resposible for filing a quit claim deed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which party is resposible for filing a quit claim deed?

My ex-wife and I divorced several years ago after going through mediation. She was ordered on the final judgment to relinquish the home to me. I was recently served with foreclosure notice and she was served with the court papers as well since she was still on the deed but not on the mortgage. She retained an attorney which had her fill out a quit claim deed and file with the clerk of courts in Collier County Florida. After successfully mediating my case with the bank, today I received a letter from her attorney that she is requesting that I pay her back her legal fees. Am I responsible for her legal fees? Is the petitioner or respondent ultimately responsible for filing the quit claim deed?

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is not a set 'rule' for who does what.  However, as an informal rule, the person benefiting by the document should also draft the document. Since you got the house, you should have drafted it and had her sign it earlier.  However, this, by itself, if not a basis for asking for attorney's fees... because it's just a general practice in the legal profession, not a set in stone rule.
The exception would be if the final decree of divorce said something different or outlines specifically who did what.  If the decree actually ordered her to draft and file it, then it was on her.  If the decree required you to prep and file the quit claim deed, then she could get attorney's fees for having to force you to do so.  However, your case is slightly different in that she didn't file a suit... she just went and did it... which means she volunteered.  If you are not sure which way your decree leans, take a copy of your decree to a couple of family law attorneys to have them review it.
You should also take a copy of the demand letter with you.  It really sounds like the attorney is trying to shake you up a bit in hopes of getting payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption