Which employment contract is binding?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which employment contract is binding?

I signed an employment contract 14 years ago with a non-compete clause. The
contract did not have an end date. We were acquired by another company 6 years
ago and signed new employment contracts with non-complete clauses. These
contracts were for 3 years. So, the new company’s contract is up, we have not re-
signed, and I am considering going elsewhere. Will the original contract still be
enforceable since it has no end date?

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The original contract is not enforceable.  A contract must have a time for performance.  It cannot be indefinite. 
With regard to non-competitive provisions, that provision cannot be indefinite.  It must be limited in time, scope, duration and proximity.
Since the company was acquired and the new company issued its own employment contract, that contract should supercede the pre-existing employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption