Which custody is appropriate if you agree to take in neice but do not want to be responsible for her financially – physical joint custody?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which custody is appropriate if you agree to take in neice but do not want to be responsible for her financially – physical joint custody?

I recently agreed to take in my neice as a favor because the relationship between her stepmother and dad was deteriorating. I have 2 other children and it is a financial hardship as I am a single mother. We verbally agreed to a minimal order with the understanding that father would pay for all extra expenses as agreed. The consent order read joint legal and physical custody with no mention of verbal agreement. I want to protect myself while helping my neice and want to be sure I am not putting exta financial burden or responsibility on myself. What should I do?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your question is a question of child support, not custody. Regardless of the type of pasta you agree to,  joint or sole custody, child support is a separate issue.

Both the natural parents will be required by the court to contribute to child support pursuant to the New Jersey child support guidelines. The guidelines utilize an income proportionate calculation to determine the noncustodial parent's weekly child support obligation.  This weekly obligation is then adjusted to account for the noncustodial parent's overnight schedule, the cost of medical insurance, any extraordinary or reoccurring medical expenses, daycare costs and any other support obligation.

The child support calculation is presumed to be the accurate number and in the child's best interest. The court, however, does have the ability to deviate from the child support guidelines if it is found to be in the child's best interest. 

You should speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law.


Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110



This information is based on New Jersey law and upon the limited facts you presented. My advice may be different if I find that the facts presented are different.  Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption