Which bills am I required to pay from an estate?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which bills am I required to pay from an estate?

I am the personal rep of my uncles estate and some family members are telling me that I do not have to pay his bills – hospital, doctor, cell phone, electricity, etc. There is enough money in his estate to pay the bills but I don’t want to pay them if I am not required to. Also, when listing inventory for probate do I include an IRA account that had a beneficiary listed as an asset of the estate?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Until you establish residency in your new state, you will need to file in your former state. However, once you establish residency you can file there. Typically, in most states, it takes 6 months to become a resident. You should also be aware that you can file in the state in which your spouse resides.

Right now, you should consult with a divorce attorney; they can best advise you as to residency requirements and other related matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption