Can I take legal action against a company who I believe to have committed employement fraud?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take legal action against a company who I believe to have committed employement fraud?

About 12 months ago, I was hired by individuals posing as a real company for a remote support job. They gave me the money to buy the equipment necessary for the job and the money was moved but the technology never arrived. I was notified by the real company that these individuals were posing as them in order to gain identity information. The financial information itself, leads back to a SC company that shouldn’t have been involved in the field of business of the real company. I have tried contacting this company twice, in order to resolve the issue, with no response. I tried contacting their parent company twice, with no response. I want to sue on the basis of employment fraud. What are my options?

Asked on December 4, 2018 under General Practice, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It's not "employment fraud"--it's just plain fraud. A misrepresentation (lie) was made to you to get you to send them money--that is fraud, when you lie to get someone to do something. It is also likely theft (stealing by trickery or deception is theft just as much as stealing by breaking and entering or hacking someone's account). You can sue them based on both fraud and theft; you can also report this crime to the Attorney General's office in their state (SC, based on what you write).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption