Where to sue an entity?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where to sue an entity?

I need to bring a lawsuit against a company I invested in and wanted to find out where do I file for venue? Company is based in Houston, TX and I live in FL. Secondly, the issue of the lawsuit arose because they subcontracted work that turned out to be subpar and lost us our investment capital. I can be reached at infosgbizservices.com



Asked on August 3, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are the plaintiff.  The company you are suing is the defendant.
A lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the transaction that is the subject of the lawsuit occurred.
For your convenience such as filing documents with the court, court appearances, etc., it would be advisable to file in your state, FL.  You can have a process server in TX serve the company with your summons and complaint (the complaint is the lawsuit).  You can find process servers listed under attorney services online or in the Yellow Pages.
You may be able to have the TX company served in FL because if it is transacting business in FL, it would have an agent who could be served with the lawsuit.  You can find out the name and address of the agent for service of process in FL  for the TX company by contacting the Florida Secretary of State's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption