Where to start on an old felony charge that you don’t remember getting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where to start on an old felony charge that you don’t remember getting?

My wife recently lost her job due to an old felony charge on her record. The charge was from 6 years ago under her married name even though we were not married at the time. She asked what the charges where for and they told her it was for endangering the welfare of a minor, which she was held in jail pending a felony charge but was released when the DA did not file charges. She also has a paraphernalia charge which was handled in misdemeanor court, paying all fines. The felony was a charge for prescription drugs without a prescription. She’s completely clean now and we are making it together though just barely and her losing her job is going to make it that much harder. Where do we start to get this sorted?

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your wife needs to demand a copy of the report that was used to terminate her employment.  Under the FCRA, your wife is entitled to a copy of the report so that she can dispute any incorrect entries on the report with the reporting organization.  If the employer refuses to give it to her, she can file a complaint with the FTC. Online complaints are free.  Once she has the report, she can then review it to make sure it's correct... or she can start calling the agencies to have them correct their info if an entry is not accurate.
Another option for getting her criminal history is to go to your local jail or police department and see if they will fingerprint your wife and run an NCIC report on your wife.  You want to request a national run, not just a state run, of her criminal history to make sure that something from another state is not popping up on her record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption