Where do I file a quitclaim deed?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I file a quitclaim deed?

My husband left our house and moved out of state with his brother. He is willing to sign a quitclaim deed. Is it legal for him to sign and notarize the deed there in his new state of residence? When I receive it, where do I go to file it?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your husband is willing to sign a quitclaim deed to a piece of property to you, he needs to sign a proper document before a notary public and send it to you. When you receive it, you will need to record it in the county where the property that is being quitclaimed with the county's recorder's office.

There should be no problem if your husband signs the quitclaim out of the state where the real property that you are writing about is located. The important thing is that the quitclaim itself must be in a proper form for recording.

I suggest that your husband consult with a real estate attorney to assist him in a form of the quitclaim that he will sign releasing his interest in the property you are writing about to you.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption