When you are on an H1B visa, are you allowed to do freelance work for a company in your home country?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When you are on an H1B visa, are you allowed to do freelance work for a company in your home country?

If the answer is yes, should you get paid in your home country or in the US?

Asked on August 10, 2017 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You cannot receive an income in the US for work other than the H-1B petitioning employer.  If you do any work for a company in your home country, that may be all right but you have to get paid for it in your home country as your only authorized employment in the US is for the petitioning employer of your H-1B.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption