When we go to court can I show my receipts so that I will not be legally responsible for the amount owed by my roommate?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When we go to court can I show my receipts so that I will not be legally responsible for the amount owed by my roommate?

My roommate and I have been subpoenaed to go to court for on overdue balance for our apartment. My roommate and I both have our names on the lease but the amount that is owed is all her debt. I have all of my receipts for the payments that I have made and they are all current.

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are being sued by the landlord, then you can be held liable for the unpaid portion of any rent, even if your roommate "should" have paid it. That's because when two (or more) people are on a lease, either/any of them may be held liable for the full amount of the rent (unless, that is, the lease specifically breaks out how much each one owes). So, say you have $1,000/month rent; you paid $500, so the landlord is owed another $500; the landlord is allowed to sue you for the remaining $500. Or if you gave your roomate a $500 check but she didn't turn any of  it over to the landlord, he could sue you for the full $1,000. (The above is per month, in my example.)

You, in turn, could sue your roommate for amounts which she owes under the lease, because she did not contribute or pay her share (or kept your portion for herself).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption