What to do about a subsequent Will that the maker no longer wants honored?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a subsequent Will that the maker no longer wants honored?

When my wife and I married 31 years ago, we moved into her house and made a Will for each of us, giving all to the other. About 20 years ago, she was angry and drew up another Will without my knowledge. It left everything to her children. Recently she told me about this and that she gave copy of the Will to her son. He says that he through it away because he knew she was not serious. Can this come back to haunt us if either of us die. We are currently 80.

Asked on September 14, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if that was the last will, it is still in force, so if her son "conveniently" finds it after her death, assuming that it was properly executed, it will determine how the property is distributed.

Your wife can invalidate this will: she would do so by drawing up and executing a new will, which states that it replaces all prior wills. That's the way to make sure it does not come back and haunt you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption