What to do if we’re leaving our apartment but the landlord kept a $600 deposit and is asking for $200 more?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we’re leaving our apartment but the landlord kept a $600 deposit and is asking for $200 more?

About 2 years ago I lived in the same complex and when I left they returned a full deposit (minus carpet cleaning); they told me they always repaint the walls. When I went to live with the same company I was under the impression it would be the same, now they are taking our deposit in what I feel is bogus charges, including $530 for painting.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you feel that the landlord is charging for more than normal wear and tear and what is permitted under your state law (easy to look up), then you will have to sue him in small claims court and they will have to provide an itemized list of charges.  If they can not prove their claim then you will be in the better position. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption