When is it O.K. to call body shop to release my totaled car to at fault persons insurance company.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When is it O.K. to call body shop to release my totaled car to at fault persons insurance company.

My fiance was hit by a drunk driver. It has been over a week now and the drunk drivers insurance is picking up the liability and swears she is going to pay for more than half of the ACV (thank goodness we have the GAP insurance) but she wants us to call the body shop where is car is sitting and charging the insurance daily fee’s to call the body shop to release the car, so it can be moved to a shop that will not be charging the insurance comp. Nothing has been paid or signed at this time nor any actually figure amounts noted, so should we call the body shop just yet? and if not “when”?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Accident Law, Florida


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would not release the car to the insurance company until I get a check for the damage or the ACV.  If you release it to them now, then they have both the money and the car!  If they don't want to incur the charges of storing the car, they can ask you to have it moved to a different shop. Tell them you will only have it towed at their expense, and get them to agree to be billed directly for the towing.  Once you get a check in your hand, then they can have the salvaged vehicle.  And just a question, why is she agreeing to pay for "more than half the ACV"?  You should be paid the full ACV if their driver was 100% at fault for the accident.  Perhaps you mean more than half the loan amount, because that's where gap insurance comes into play.  Just wondering.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption