When is it alright for my “ex” to introduce her new signifcant other to my 20 month-old daughter?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When is it alright for my “ex” to introduce her new signifcant other to my 20 month-old daughter?

I was just informed that my ex will be going away with my daughter this weekend with her significant other and I think this is going to be very troubling for my daughter at this early stage. I was hoping that my ex would wait several (6-12) months with a new person before letting him enter my daughter’s life, but that seems to not be the case.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your divorce decree or agreement provides that a either this specific significant other, or any significant other, may not have certain interaction with your daughter, either generally or under certain circumstances, that decree or agreement may be enforced.

If the above is not the case, then IF you believe--and more importantly, can show--that either this person in particular or the way your ex intends to interact with significant others will cause emotional or pschological harm to your child--or even put her at some physical harm, then you may be able to go to court to get an order barring it. Be advised that this is a very high bar to get over: typically, you need something like inappropriate behavior (causual nudity), criminal behavior, mental illness, drug use, etc. to show this. That you and your ex are divorced and that he will have new people in his life is a fact of your daughter's life; as long as those people behavior in a reasonable fashion, it is very unlikely that a court would take any cognizane of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption