What should i do if when I was 16 years old I was involved in an accident and now, 3 years later, I’m being sued for $25,000?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should i do if when I was 16 years old I was involved in an accident and now, 3 years later, I’m being sued for $25,000?

Since then both of my legal guardians have passed away and I am now 20 years old. The lady that I hit is suing for emotional and physical damages and I don’t know what to do.

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Personal Injury, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you had insurance when the accident occurred, you should contact your insurance carrier.  Your insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.  The attorney will handle the case for you.

In the event that the case is lost and the other party prevails and obtains a judgment against you, it would be advisable to file bankruptcy when there is a judgment against you.  You may be eligible to file Chapter 7, which is a type of bankruptcy which eliminates certain types of debts such as that judgment against you in that personal injury lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption