Can the terms of an employment agreement be changed 2 years later?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the terms of an employment agreement be changed 2 years later?

When I was hired by my employer, I was hired on as a salaried employee (Supervisor). I am on call 24/7. My job also requires me to work evenings, nights, weekends, etc. as needed. Part of the agreement of my employment was since I am on call 24/7, and since it’s not at all uncommon to work more than 40 hrs a week, that as long as I came in for a minimum of 2 hours a day, I would be paid for the entire day. Now, the company has decided to change their policy (without written notice) and if you take off at all, they automatically deduct it from your sick pay.

Asked on June 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't indicate much about this "ageement".Iff it was a specific agreement between and your employer, you may or may not have a cause of action for breach of contract. It would depend on the details of your situation and particularly the terms of the agreement itself. If the agreement was nothing more than company policy, then I'm afraid that you are out of luck. That is unless your employer is in violation of an existing union contract or its actions are the result of actionable discrimination. The fact is that in an "at will" work relationship, an employer can change the terms and conditions of employment may be changed, with or without notice.

At this point, you may want to consult directly with an an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption