When driving a company vehicle who pays for gas and maintenance

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When driving a company vehicle who pays for gas and maintenance

My husband has been driving a company
vehicle for an hvac company for over a
year now. He has paid out of pocket for
all gas and maintenance. His boss told
him to keep his gas receipts and that
at the end of the year he would get
that money back on his taxes. Now that
tax time has come we found out we can
not use those gas receipts on taxes and
he’s refusing to reimburse him he also
fired him and took the truck back for
him asking is this legal?

Asked on March 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There really isn't any rule regarding this. Responsibility for gas and repairs for a company car will be set my the employer (company policy may address this issue). However, to the extent that the employee is required to pay for them, the employee can deduct such costs as business expenses on their personal income tax returns.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption