When does your real estate agents obligation to you end?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does your real estate agents obligation to you end?

I purchased a home four months ago in the state of Oregon. The disclosure report
indicated there had been a major leak on the side of the shingled house.
Apparently it had been repaired as indicated by the contractors report. During the
first rain the same side/window leaked. I contacted the agent to pursue the matter
and was told to consult an attorney. At what point does the agents obligation end,
and what should be done?

Asked on March 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your agent's obligation ends when the sale closes: the agent's role is to help you buy the home, and once that is done, the agent is done. Further, an agent *can't* help you here: if you are trying to recover compensation from the seller for a misrepresentation about the repair, you need a lawyer, not a realtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption