When does my temporary spousal support order expire?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does my temporary spousal support order expire?

I was ordered at my temporary hearing almost 1 1/2 years ago to pay my now ex-wife’s car payment. My order states that it will be held in abeyance until the final hearing which was 5 months ago. As we did not come to any agreement on the spousal support, the judge declared he would make a decision and mail us the results. The judge made his final decision in about 8 weeks ago stating that my ex-wife would be responsible for her own car payment. The paperwork set on my ex-wife’s attorney’s desk for over a month before a 5 day notice was given to him. The actual divorce decree was not recorded until yesterday. When did my responsibility for my ex-wife’s car payment end?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Family Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the order that you have written about terminating your spousal support order expired on the date that the order was filed with the court unless the order sets forth otherwise. As such, you need to carefully read the order that you have written about. Your answer will lie within.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption