When being sued by a bank for a car that’s been repossessed, what assets can be taken?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When being sued by a bank for a car that’s been repossessed, what assets can be taken?

The car has been picked up after my grandson, against my will, parted it out. I just received a summons in the mail that I have 30 days to reply with a letter and suggested I get a lawyer but I’m elderly and can’t afford what they charge. Can they get my home, my car banks accounts and social security money?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems as though that you co-signed for the loan on your grandson's car. What has most likely happened is that the car was sold at auction and you and your grandson have been sued for a deficiency judgment as to the amount still owed on the loan.

If you do not answer the complaint, you will be defaulted where a judgment will be rendered for a specific amount and some of your property levied upon to pay the judgment. I suggest that if you cannot afford an attorney, you contact your county's legal aid program for possible assistance assuming such a program exists.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption