When a love one dies but does not leave a Will, what are the rights of the mother and siblings if there is the deceased had a daughter?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When a love one dies but does not leave a Will, what are the rights of the mother and siblings if there is the deceased had a daughter?

My brother died last month and his daughter and her mother immediately took his 3 vehicles. The family wanted to wait and settle everything after the funeral. I got a call from a loan company that my brother had me as beneficiary of his insurance on the loan. He had all 3 vehicles as collateral against the loan. Along with the checks I was given the titles to the vehicles. Do I have ownership to the vehicles or do his daughter keep them?

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is very difficult to understand the documents with out reading them.  When a person dies with out a Will then that person is said to have died "intestate" and the intestacy laws in Mississippi will apply.  Generally if a person dies leaving a child their siblings are then cut off from inheriting.  But there are methonds to pass posessions on to another person "outside the Will", meaning with out having to go through probate.  Being the beneficiary on a life insurance policy is one way.  The documents you speak of here must be read in accordance with state law to see if they have passed proeprly to you and can not be contested by your niece.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption