When a couple is divorces in AL, house is given to the wife, does she need to refinance the home to match the insurance policy>

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When a couple is divorces in AL, house is given to the wife, does she need to refinance the home to match the insurance policy>

The insurance policy is now in husbands name, wife wants husband to sign off the insurance. Is it legal to do that if the loan is still in the husbands name?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Family Law, Tennessee


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  When you buy a home you can get home owner's insurance in your name.  the insurance company that has the policy in your husband's name will no longer provide coverage if he stops paying - which  he will do once the house goes into your name.  You do not however need to transfer the house into your name.  you can keep it in both names and he can pay or you can pay for the insurance policy.  I would consult your divorce attorney on this as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption