What’s the easiest way for my fiancee to change her first name?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s the easiest way for my fiancee to change her first name?

She’s here in the U.S. on a work visa and we plan on getting married at the end of next month. She wants to change her first name along with her last name to make it easier to pronounce and remember. I called the courthouse and

they told me that they can only change the last name during the marriage proceedings. Does she need to go back to her home country to have her first name changed? Should we wait until she is fully a U.S. citizen and then change her first name?

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

When you are legally married, she can simply start using the married name and use the marriage certificate as the basis for changing her name on all other legal documents.  There is no issue with that; it happens all the time.  There is nothing further that would need to be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption