What would I need for my grandma to give power of attorney to my mother?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would I need for my grandma to give power of attorney to my mother?

My grandmother is over 80 and will soon be in a home. My uncle who is a

real piece of work is already planning to do tear down her house, and since he

is the oldest claims he decides all decisions. My grandma is in the hospital and they claim has dementia my aunts say but she is in and out of it. Is there any to give power of attorney to my mother? Does a lawyer have to be present or can a 3rd party witness do?

Asked on September 12, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Right now, the only person that has the right to make any decisions regarding her estate is your grandmother.  If your grandmother is unable to make those decisions, they do not automatically revert to the 'oldest child.'  That legal trick went away a couple of decades ago. 
If your grandmother signed a power of attorney, then that person has the right to make decisions regarding her estate......but only to the extent as permitted by the power of attorney.  Some POA's have limitations, while others confer unlimited authority.
Considering that your grandmother is already experiencing dementia, any power of attorney signed after today will be suspect.  Instead of a power of attorney, a relative who is not a 'piece of work' needs to make an application for guardianship.  From there, that person can make any necessary decisions on how to best proceed with your grandmother's estate.
If you think that someone is abusing your grandmother financially or physically, then you need to contact Adult Protective Services if you cannot immediately get a guardianship application filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption