What would happen ifI was charged with a criminal possession charge and went to trail without a lawyer?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would happen ifI was charged with a criminal possession charge and went to trail without a lawyer?

I was charged with a 7th degree criminal possession charge of a controlled substance (suboxone).

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I have no idea what would happen if you went to trial on your controlled substance charge as to whether you end up getting convicted or not. I always suggest that whenever a person has been charged with a criminal offense, he or she should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

As you should be aware, if you are convicted of the charge against you, the result could be a fine, jail time, community service work and worse yet, a criminal record. A criminal record could impact your ability for higher education and for getting a decent job.

My experience is that individuals who are represented by criminal defense attorneys typically do much better concerning the outcome of the ultimate result that they end up receiving than if they were representing themselves without an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption