What will someone get for maintaining a common nuisance with no other prior records?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will someone get for maintaining a common nuisance with no other prior records?

My friend called the police on someone who broke into his house. When they got there they said it was a crime scene and they could search his house. They found three plants of marijuana, the tallest maybe 1 ft high, in his house. Both him and his girlfriend got charged with the same thing. They are afraid of losing their home and jobs. It’s not like he was selling or anything, it was for himself.

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If all they are being charged with is "maintaining a common nuisance," it's probably the lowest-level misdemeanor charge;  I'm not an Indiana attorney and your friend should talk to a lawyer in his area, for reliable advice based on all of the facts. 

This sounds like it isn't even a drug charge, it's the sort of thing that ordinarily is disposed of with a fine and court costs, and isn't considered a "crime."  But it also sounds like a "warning" from the police, and I doubt that another incident would get the same treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption