What will happen to me in court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to me in court?

I was going 76 in a 55 and received a
traffic citation. I want to plead guilty
but I don’t know what the consequences
are. I have a clean record. Please tell
me what to expect from court and what
type of punishment I might receive.

Asked on September 13, 2018 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In your state (OH), that amount of miles per hour over the speed limit should result in two points on your license; you'll also have a fine and court costs of (typcially) around $225 - $275.00.
When you get to court speak to the prosecutor: the prosecutor has the authority to let you plead to a lesser offense. If you have, as you say, a clean record, he may let you plead to fewer miles per hour over the speed limit, so you might get only one point and pay a lesser fine. 
Also ask if there is any option to plead to a no point offense. Some states (like mine, NJ) have alternative pleas where the prosecutor can let you pay a larger fine but get no points. In NJ, for example, you can often trade 2 points and $200 in fines, etc. for paying $450 - $500 and no points.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption