What will happen to me regarding a domestic assault against my sister?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to me regarding a domestic assault against my sister?

I’m 17 years old and my sister and I got into an argument. She’s 14 and was yelling and screaming. I hit her with my arm and she didn’t cry, then she grabbed my arm but my mom called the police and they told me I will be charged with domestic assault. It says on the internet that I can get charged with 93 days in jail and a $500 fine, even though I’ve never been in trouble and it was my sister and she hit me too. Whats going to happen to me?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been charged with domestic assault upon your sister where bith of you are minors, most likely the charge against you will be held in juvenile court since you are a minor. If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you at this point in time, you should retain one.

As to the ultimate consequence as ti the charge against you assuming you plead guilty or are convicted of the crime, I have no idea what sentence will be imposed against you by the court. Most likely you will not receive any jail time if convicted but may be fined and ordered to anger management classes for attendance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption