What will happen if my sister does not pay an account she has in collection?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if my sister does not pay an account she has in collection?

Can they send her to jail or get her in trouble?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your sister lets the account she owes money on go deeper into collection, her credit rating will become further damaged, a lawsuit could be filed against her, a judgment could be entered against her as a result, and then her bank accounts and other assets could be levied upon to satisfy the judgment against her.

After all this happens, her credit rating will be further damaged.

If she can afford to make monthly payments on this obligation that she presumably owes on, she should make an attempt to enter into a written agreement to begin paying it off before things become worse.

A negative credit rating will harm her in the event she wishes to purchase a car or a home.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption