What will happen if I am out of status when I apply for a green card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I am out of status when I apply for a green card?

I first entered to the U.S. with J-1 visa as an AuPair and stayed for 2 years. I went back to my country and stayed for 1 year and then came back to the U.S. as a student. I came returned with an F-1 visa. I have been here for about 1 1/2 years. I got married here in the U.S. 3 months ago. My husband got a job in another state, so we decided to move. I tried to transfer to one of the colleges here but

something didn’t work out, so I failed to register for the classes. I was told that I will be out of status soon. I am preparing to apply for a green card and I jut need the medical exam results, which I am supposed to get this week. I looked through on the internet about the similar cases to mine and some people say that it is OK but some say it’s not. We are very worried and just wanted to know more details about what would happen.

Asked on January 10, 2017 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As long as you entered the US lawfully and it looks like you did with the F-1 visa, and as long as you are married to a US citizen and the marriage is bona fide, you will be able to adjust status to permanent resident even if you have been out of status and/or unlawfully present.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption