what will happen if a man was hit by your car and died on the scene

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what will happen if a man was hit by your car and died on the scene

A man walked over the road without checking for oncoming vehicles
and was hit by my sons bakkie. The man died on the scene. The
police did take a statement on the scene as well as the forensic
guys. Now my son must go to the police station to give a statement
again. He do not have transport because the bakkie had a breakdown
due to the accident. Must he ask a lawyer to go with him. What
will happen to my son?

Asked on July 4, 2016 under Accident Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If someone dies when hit by a car, it is not a criminal act by the driver unless he was not only at fault in some way, but was being more than ordinarily caressly: e.g. DUI, texting while driving, or something else which goes over the line from simply being a somewhat careless driver to being grossly (greatly) careless, reckless as to the consequences of your actions, or actively doing something wrong (like drinking before driving). You can be sued, of course, if you do anything wrong and hurt or kill another, but will generally not face criminal penalties unless you were greatly at fault. That said, if there is any evidence you are greatly at fault, you could potentially be charged with one or another form of manslaughter or vehicular homicide. Furthermore, anything said to the police could be used in a civil lawsuit against you. With so much at stake, your son is strongly advised to retain and meet with an attorney first, then bring the lawyer with him or otherwise follow the lawyer's advice in responding to the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption