What type of traveling document do I need as a U.S. permanent resident wanting to travel abroad?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of traveling document do I need as a U.S. permanent resident wanting to travel abroad?

I want to go on a 2 weeks vacation to Thailand but I’m only a U.S. permanent resident and I can’t obtain a foreign passport from the country that I was born in which is Laos. Does that mean I have to apply for the I-

31 refugee travel document? I came to America as a refugee. I’m still waiting for my naturalization process.

Asked on January 8, 2019 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you are a US permanent resident and do not have a valid passport, you would need to apply for and obtain a travel document for a refugee in order to be able to travel abroad.  Why are you not able to obtain a passport from Laos?  Have you tried contacting the Embassy of Laos?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption