What type of legal action should I take when starting a business with a friend but she seems to be controlling everything already?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of legal action should I take when starting a business with a friend but she seems to be controlling everything already?

Asked on November 21, 2013 under Business Law, Georgia


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you and your friend don't have a clear understanding about how to share authority and responsibility in your business.

My general belief is that one should not enter a business with a person who is a control freak or has an undying need to be credited as the fearless leader and source of all good ideas.

One way to minimize the negative effects of such a personality is to have a written agreement that divides up responsibilities and authority, and prevents one person from dominating the important decisions that are made for the business.

Even such an agreement might not stop your friend from acting badly--some people just can't help themselves.

If she is damaging your interests in the business by her bad behavior, a written agreement can make it easier to make her pay...HOWEVER, keep in mind that this depends in part on whether your business has any demonstrable value.

So, you can create legal documents but really still end up with a whole lot of grief and nothing meaningful that you can do about it.

Some people need to feel like they are in control, and I would decide whether such a person can be manipulated easily enough (and my own ability to do so) prior to continuing in business. I would also ask myself whether I am content to quietly manipulate a glory-hound.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption