What type of lawyer do I need to help with an accident suit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of lawyer do I need to help with an accident suit?

I had an accident. I was not issued a ticket. I had a lapse in insurance at the time of accident. The insurance company filed suit against me to recover $14,000 they paid him, since they paid the person I hit.

Asked on August 15, 2017 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There are attorneys who specialize in defending against accident lawsuits, just as there are attorneys who specialize in bringing those suits. Ideally, hire one who has a specialty in doing this. If you have trouble finding such a lawyer, try looking for "insurance defense" attorneys--while these technically work for the defendant's insurance company, not the defendant personally, they'd have the knowledge and experience to defend you, and if they take private (non-insurance) clients, could definitely help you. If you can't find such an attorney to represent you, look for a personal injury lawyer: a lawyer who commonly brings accident cases should also know how to defend one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption