What type of attorney do I need to pursue legal action against my father who spent my student loan money and now my loan is close to default?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What type of attorney do I need to pursue legal action against my father who spent my student loan money and now my loan is close to default?

I was 18 went away to school on borrowed money from student loan companies. My father was the co-signer he was the one in control of this money. When it came time to register for school again I was unable to because the money suddenly wasn’t available and he had no answers as to where it went and to this day will not speak on the subject. I have no other choice then to go into legal action because I am 25 and married now and have nothing to show for it because this is holding me back. I now have student loan debt and debt with the school I attended.

Asked on November 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are in a difficult situation. The type of attorney that you need to consult with concerning your father taking and spending your student loan money which you are now facing a possible default is an attorney experienced in fraud and contract actions.

You can go online in your county and search for this type of attorney unless you know someone who can give you a direct referral. Before you consult with an attorney about your situation, perhaps meeting with your father about the situation to see what can be done informally with a written agreement signed by your father as to the anount owed you and monthly repayment installments would be a start?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption