What percentage should be paid to a lawyer to close an estate through probate?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What percentage should be paid to a lawyer to close an estate through probate?

Also, what percentage should a fiduciary receive?

Asked on June 5, 2014 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Ohio law sets forth fees for a fiduciary of an estate as follows:

  • 4% of the first $100,000 of personal property, income, and proceeds of real estate sold;
  • 3% of the next $300,000;
  • 2% of the balance;
  • 1% of the value of real estate not sold; and
  • For dates of death after 2012, 1% of all property that is not subject to probate administration except joint and survivorship property.
  • The fiduciary may waive the fee. Additional fees can be awarded for extraordinary services.

    There is no minimum fee or percentage fee for the attorney. It is agreed upon between the parties. However, the court must approve all attorney fees.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption