What to do with abandoned property?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do with abandoned property?

I had a “friend” who stayed with me for a little over a week. Long story short, she stole my debit card and fraudulently withdrew my money with it, then used the money she stole to leave the state. The police are looking for her. Am I allowed to dispose of her stuff? She’s been gone for about a month, and I’ve contacted her several times to get her belongings but never gotten a reply. Tons of clothes, a bed, her daughter’s things, etc. It’s taking up a whole room. Am I allowed to donate/dispose of her things at this point since she never had a lease or paid rent, and I’ve attempted to notify her?

Asked on June 25, 2015 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove that you sent her notice (e.g. written notice sent by certified mail with return receipt to her last known address with instructions to the post office to forward; copies of emails or text messages showing that they were not returned as undeliverable) that  she has to retrieve her belongings or else they will be considered abandoned,  and gave her 30 days since then, you should be able to safely dispose of her belongings however you see fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption