What to do when it’s a week past payday and haven’t been paid?

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when it’s a week past payday and haven’t been paid?

My payday was July 7th, 2017 and didn’t
get paid. I am still employed with the
company. It is a week after payday and I
keep getting will get next business day
then it comes and they have an excuse.

Asked on July 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) Try speaking to the state department of labor: they enforce your state's laws about frequency and timing of payroll (in your state, you must be paid at least 2x per month, for example, and a failure to pay you that frequently, including due to payroll being late, is a violation of the law) and so they may be able to help you.
2) Your other recourse, if the department of labor does not help you, would be to sue your employer (e.g. in small claims court, acting as your own attorney or "pro se") for the missing pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption