What to do when a friend causes a non-injury accident while driving your car and the other driver does not want to file a report?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do when a friend causes a non-injury accident while driving your car and the other driver does not want to file a report?

My friend and I were driving and she was switching lanes but did not see someone in the other lane who was speeding, causing him to hit us. We stopped to find minimal scratches and dents on both our cars, but no one was injured. The driver said he just wanted to make sure we’re okay. He said he didn’t want to file a report or anything because he had a high deductible with his insurer. I gave him my name and phone number but no insurance information. He did not give me any information. I’ve received 2 phone calls/voicemails from the insurer for “updated information.” What can I do?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Accident Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since the other driver was at fault in the accident, you will need to file a claim with his auto insurance carrier if you want to have the property damage to your car repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption