What to do if a company forged my signature?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a company forged my signature?

Synopsis A place of business that charges a monthly fee for a membership
signed me up for said membership without my knowledge and forged my
signature to sign me up.

I went into the business and they wouldn’t even look at my email that was sent
to me saying I was signed up, and also wouldn’t hardly look me in the eye. They
said they do that all the time and acted as if it was okay.

I feel that I should be compensated for this however, I didn’t know to what
extent I should go. Is it worth fighting for? Could I get any money out of it?
Should I sue the company? Should I do something else in the legal sense?

Thank you

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Business Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the company for fraud for signing you up for membership without your consent and forging your signature. You can seek damages (monetary compensation) in your lawsuit for fraud.
Your civil case (lawsuit) is separate from a criminal case for fraud and forgery.  You can contact the district attorney's office regarding the criminal charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption