What to do as an uninsured driver who had an accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do as an uninsured driver who had an accident?

I’m 19 years old and I was cited as failing to yield at a left turn. I recently found out that I was not covered under my mom’s insurance so I won’t be receiving any help from the insurance company. I need help on the course of

action I should take knowing these facts?

Asked on June 20, 2019 under Accident Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If not covered under your mother's insurance policy, you need to pay for your own car damage yourself and if sued by another person, will have to pay any amounts they win in court from you out of your own pocket. Since you were cited for failing to yield, assume that if you are sued, you will lose--you will be found to have been driving negligently (carelessly) and at fault. Therefore, if sued, you may wish to try to settle the case for either a lesser amount or with a payment plan over time; that is, something you can afford. A settlement is voluntary for both sides, so there is no guaranty you'd be able to settle, but tying would likely be your best option, since if sued and the other side wins, you'd have to pay them the full amount at once. 
If sued for a truly unpayable amount--tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (e.g. if another person was injured)--filing for bankruptcy would be a viable option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption