what to do after receiving summons for personal injury judgment of money following car accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what to do after receiving summons for personal injury judgment of money following car accident?

About 5 months ago, I was at fault for a minor car accident with no damages or visible/declared injuries. I exchanged personal insurance information with other driver but no police accident report filed. The other driver later filed a personal injury claim with my then insurance company. Upon investigation, my insurance determined there was no personal injury, or damage caused by accident. Now, I’ve received a court summons from other party and attorney for money judgment $5,000 for personal injury, which I have to respond to with written answer within 45 days. I cannot afford lawsuit/judgment, or attorney, nor was the accident severe enough that it I feel it should even be going to these lengths. What/how do I need to prepare requested response of written answer to summons received? And, what could be likely/possible outcome of lawsuit attempt considering my insurance had already determined no damage/injuries?

Asked on June 27, 2017 under Personal Injury, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should forward the matter to your insurance company.  Your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you, who will file an answer to the complaint (lawsuit) for you.
The answer denies the allegations in the complaint.
It is not possible to predict the outcome of any lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption