What to do after a 3 car accident which was my fault, ifI have no insurance?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do after a 3 car accident which was my fault, ifI have no insurance?

I was in an accident the other day and have had no insurance for the past couple months. It was my fault – rearend accident which led to 3 other cars being involved. So what I need to know is should I get a lawyer to help me with all this? I have no money, which led to the no insurance because of a lay off. I just started work again and got insurance once again, so I do have it now. However, I need to know what to do. One of the cars is already contacting me by his insurance company saying that his car is totalled and he is injured. I have not called them back; I plan to do that next week.

Asked on December 31, 2010 under Accident Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Since you did not have insurance and caused the accident, you will probably be sued for the property damage to the other vehicles and for any personal injury sustained by the occupants of the other vehicles.  Their personal injury claims will include medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering and any wage loss.

When these parties obtain a judgment against you, it would be advisable to file for Chapter 7 baniruptcy (assuming that you are eligible to file a Chapter 7).  It may be several months or possibly more than a year before there is any court judgment against you.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until there is a court judgment against you in the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption