What to do about being accused of stealing?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about being accused of stealing?

My father and his live in girlfriend have accused me of stealing a ring from their
home. I did not steal anything.

I got a phone call from someone stating he was a police officer in my father’s town
and he told me my only choices were to take a polygraph or go to prison.

This can’t be real, and I don’t know what to think.

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This may or may no be legitimate. However, if it is, do not speak with the police without an attooney being present. This is true even if they show up to our house. No one has to speak with the authorities if they don't want to, let alone take a lie detector test.  The fact is that they are trained to get a people to say incriminating things; they are many tactics that they can employ to do this. Again, do not speak to them without having an attorney with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption