What steps should I take in selling the mobile home that my deceased boyfriend and I owned together?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps should I take in selling the mobile home that my deceased boyfriend and I owned together?

My boyfriend recently passed away and the mobile home we lived it has both our names in the title. There is no Will, no Trust, no survivorship and no quitclaim deed. My boyfriend and I were together for 8 years and he was separated from his wife for 10 years. Now the title to the mobile home has both my name and my boyfriend’s name on it as joint owners. Now all I need to know is what are the steps I need to take to sell the home. Do I need to get a copy of the death certificate or some other papers. I’m at a loss as to how to go about selling. Do I need to get his wife involved?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ypu first need to read what the registered title for the mobile home says as to you and your former boyfriend. In whose name is the mobile home in? If it is all in your name, then you do not have a problem selling it. If the registered ownership is in your name and his as "joint tenants" you are in good shape.

If the mobile home is in joint tenancy, and since you survived him, you now own the mobile home all yourself. You will need to get a certified death certificate of your boyfriend's death to provide any new owner to give to most likely the department of motor vehicles to change title when a sale occurs.

If he had a Will and it was probated, look to see if there is an order mentioning the mobile home or the "residue" of the estate. It will control on how you proceed. If there was a trust, contact the trustee for the trust as to what it says about the mobile home.

If there is no Will or trust of your boyfriend, and registered title is in his name and not in joint tenancy, you will have to file a petition in the superior court to administer his estate. You should contact a Wills and Trust attorney about your situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption