What steps should I take to file a state complaint and or proceed with a suit against my employer for harrassment to ensure this will no reoccur

UPDATED: May 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps should I take to file a state complaint and or proceed with a suit against my employer for harrassment to ensure this will no reoccur

I have been employed aty Mercury Insurance Co since Dec 2006 and for approximately February 2007 til April 2009 I was harrassed and bullied by a particular supervisor who since have been fired in May 2009 for other unrelated reason.I have reported all of the incidents that ocurred to upper managemetna dnthere were no repercussions, only slap on the hand. As a result I have been ridiculed and disrespected by my peers and other employees (supervisors). Thanks

Asked on May 25, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


BP, Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's difficult to answer a question like this without knowing more about what happened between 2007 and 2009.  Your best bet is to speak with an attorney first and explain the types of harassment you experienced to determine whether you might have a cause of action.  If it seems like further action is warranted, you may be able to file a lawsuit in a New Jersey state court or a complaint with the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, but the attorney can advise you on the options that best fit your situation.  Most offer free consultations, so you'll be able to get a better sense of where you stand without cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption