What steps do I need to take if I got married to a US citizen and I’m already in the US on a non-immigrant work visa?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps do I need to take if I got married to a US citizen and I’m already in the US on a non-immigrant work visa?

What forms I need to fill out and what forms my husband need to fill out? Is it “Adjustment of Status” or K3 visa what applies to me? How much it will cost and how long it takes the whole procedure?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Immigration Law, Tennessee


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As long as your spouse entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry, he will be eligible for adjustment of status to permanent residence within the US.  The necessary forms can be obtained from USCIS or their websiite, www.uscis.gov.  Please note, however, that it is not just the forms but also the supporting documentation that has to be gathered and assembled to be submitted to the USCIS.  If you are not sure of what to submit or how, you might want to consult with an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption